Every one created in the image of God, saved and redeemed by Jesus Christ is kept alive to serve God and to intercede for his creatures especially human beings. The opportunity to serve in God’s vineyard involves interceding for God’s work comprising living and non-living things. The Baptist College of Theology, Lagos is one of the many things the redeemed of God need to intercede for.
Meaning Of An Intercessor
An intercessor is anyone who intercedes on behalf of another person, place and thing before God, the creator of heaven and earth. An intercessor, mediates, entreats, pleads, supplicates and prays to God on behalf of others. In essence an intercessor is a mediator as well as an advocate who intervenes on behalf of a friend or friends, brothers, sisters, parents, neighbors, enemies, nation, and things. An intercessor is not a scornful person. A scornful person mock, ridicule, scorn, spoil, make jest, backbite, and assault his fellow human and the organisation he/she belongs. However, those who devote themselves to praying and intervening on behalf of others are worthy intercessors.
The Expected Work Of Intercessors
An intercessor advocates and solicits on behalf of another person not for personal gain; nor for personal recognition or fame; but for sincere, loving service. Intercessors identify with their friends, and the institution they belong in their high and down moments. They likewise support their godly and lawful cause to fruition. Intercessors do the under listed always:
- Secure healing for others (James 5:14-16) by praying for the sick to receive healing;
- Avert judgement on the institution and her members (Numbers 14:11-21);
- Ensure deliverance for the oppressed (I Sam.7:5-9);
- Pronounce blessings and not curse on their institution and all who are connected with the institution (Num. 6:23-27). leaders and followers are to bless and not curse;
- Obtain restoration (Job 42:8-10)-for backsliders (Luke 22:32), sinners (Isa. 53:12) and offenders;
- Intercede for the institution and its workers to be filled with the Holy Spirit and be emptied of carnality from time to time (Acts 8:15-17; John 17:9);
- Pray for inner strength, understanding, vision (Eph 3:14-16) and knowledge of Jesus Christ as Saviour for all who work with God (Romans 10:1-4);
- Pray for those in governance either spiritual or secular or both (1 timothy 2:1-2);
- Pray for known and unknown enemies (1 kings 23:34).
Requirements To Be An Intercessor
The requirements enumerated below are expected of every genuine intercessor.
- An intercessor needs to sacrifice open recognition, pleasure and comfort of life in order to interceed for other;
- An intercessor needs to give his time, influence, authority and even his resources to interceed for others in words and deeds;
- Humility is the recognition and acknowledgement of the worth and giftedness of other humans. It is the ability to submit to others base on the grace of God given to them. Thus, an intercessor needs to be humble;
- Team Spirit is required from every intercessor. Team Spirit is the ability to work along with others not minding self, status and age;
- Intercessors are expected to be available for intercessory session;
- Knowledge of the Triune God and his ways of relating with his creatures especially human beings is required from every intercessor.
- Intercessors must not be selfish ( Self-centred) (Acts7:60)
Biblical Examples Of Intercessor
- Moses interceded for his people under Joshua command (Exo. 17:10-13; 32:11-13)
- Joshua interceded for his people (Joshua 7:6-9)
- Abraham interceded for Sodom, Gomorrah and even lot (Gen.18:23-32).
- Jehoshaphat interceeded for his nation (2Chro.20:5-13)
- Barnabas interceeded for fellow worker (Acts4:36-37);
- Stephen interceded for his people (Acts 7:60);
- Paul interceded for colleagues and several others (Col.1:9-12);
- Jesus Christ is the model intercessor (Romans 8:27,34; Hebs 7:25; Luke 22:32);
- Holy Spirit interceded and is still interceding for mankind (Romans 8:26)
The church and its related institutions require intercessors who are ready to coperate with the triune God as willing partners in his continue work of redemption by standing in the gap for him to interceed for all who are created in God’s image. And also to interceed for all that are established for God’s purpose and glory (Ezekiel22:30).